Northern Kentucky University established Upward Bound to provide fundamental academic support to 65 students in grades 9-12 as they prepare for college entrance. Our goal is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and then enroll in and graduate from institutions of post-secondary education.
Students who demonstrate the ability or desire to attend college enter Upward Bound in the 9th or 10th grade. All services in the challenging preparatory program are free for participants.
Upward Bound provides instruction in math, laboratory science, composition, literature and foreign language. Other services include:
- Instruction in reading, writing, study skills, and other subjects necessary for success in education beyond high school
- Academic, financial, or personal counseling
- Exposure to academic programs and cultural events
- Tutorial services
- Mentoring programs
- Information on postsecondary education opportunities
- Assistance in completing college entrance and financial aid applications
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance exams
Upward Bound students
Our students are enrolled at specific target high schools located in Northern Kentucky. The program was created to serve:
- Students from low-income families
- Students where caregiver(s) do not hold a Bachelor's degree
One hundred percent of our students are high school graduates.
Northern Kentucky University
241 Johns Hill Rd
Highland Heights, KY 41099
Phone: (859) 448-8930
FAX: (859) 442-3524